Saturday, July 26, 2008

Feeling the love....,

School starts for me on Wednesday.

I'm excited. Way excited.

I almost bailed on teaching after last year. I figured if I was going to have to take all this shit, I might as well get paid to absorb it. I left corporate America to make a difference, ti impact students' lives , and to inspire them to get outside themselves and find their boundaries. Last year was an exercise in abuse, weak academic performances by unmotivated students, and a general decline in my desire to teach. Then I did the Kennesaw Mountain Writing Project.

It brought me back from the dead.

So, as I wait for Wednesday and think about the upcoming year, I think about what I want to do and what I want to accomplish in my classroom. I want students to see American Literature as I see it-our literature. American literature is our nation's history as seen through the eyes of poets, philosophers, drunks, addicts, and statesmen. It is a body of work that is uniquely American and steadfastly renounces the voice of the English. My students are going to write.

In massive quantities. In many different forms. Until they get it right.

Life is gonna be good on Wednesday. I'm looking forward to gettin it on.

Stay tuned.

No comments: