Sunday, May 11, 2008

Gulf Coast Half Report

There's an old saying: "If you want to make God laugh, make a plan." I think God laughed all morning as I attempted to go 5:30 at Gulf Coast.

Ouch.

First, let me say that I went to GC this year with ZERO swim training due to a bad shoulder. Not a little training but no training. When we arrived on Thursday, the Gulf looked liked a washing machine. White caps, steady winds, etc. I immediately soiled myself and asked Charlotte should I be doing this race at all?

She just looked pensive.

Friday rolled in and I did the bike thing. Saw Joe Reger as I was entering the transition area. I knew it would be the last time I saw that guy so we chatted for minute and I got the impresson he was in his zone. Quiet, reflective, said he had to "run a smart race." Nice guy.

I got my bike all set and prayed over my Zipp 808s. Hell, I didn't want to flat and have to change one of those tires. Cruised the Expo. Boring.

Friday night was scary because I was sure I was going to drown the next day. Hell, I couldn't swim 1.2 miles at the pool, what made me think I could do it in the ocean?

Saturday
Bang-alarm at 0400 and the day was on. Huge omlette, EnduroLytes, Gatorade, coffee, Advil, and Pepcid. Potty x3.

Got to body marking and the girl there asked me if I was age grouper or pro. I almost kissed her.

I stayed away from the beach because I was SERIOUSLY considering bailing from this race. I WAS SCARED. But the call came and out I went. My mouth was dry and I was literally shaking. The water was rough, not like IMFL, but rough enough. I saw Dave on the beach and he just looked like he was going to kick some ass. He came over to me a little before the swim and told me to relax. I think he could see the terror in my eyes.

The Swim

What can I say? I survived. It wasn't pretty and it damn sure wasn't fast. After about 500 yards, I had to throw my left arm forward because the shoulder was shutting down. This produced a swimstroke that constantly had me pulling to the right-away from the course.

Not good.

After I rounded the first orange bouy, I took a huge mouth of Gulf and really started to get in trouble. I just stopped and tried to get to my sh&t together but I was a LONG way from sand. I started breastroking and tried to get a kayak's attention. None came. I kept swimming, dogpaddling, etc. and eventually turned towards shore. I tried to freestyle and got way off course and had to work even harder to get out of the water. Finally, I got to shore.

49:57ish

The Bike

I had a hell of a good time going out but coming back was work. A lot of work. The wind howled and damn near stopped me cold. On the way out, I average 23 mph. Coming back? 18. I talked to some really nice folks out there. Triathletes are just the nicest people. Very Type A but very nice. Saw Charlotte at the turn and she looked great. What I didn't know was how much energy I was using up just to maintain the speed.

But soon I was gonna find out.

The Run

A death march. At the end of mile 1, I was in trouble. Real trouble. I had no legs. Nada. I kinda jogged, shuffled, grunted, and bitched the first few miles. Finally, the legs sorta returned but so did the sun. In a big way. Man, it got hot. Really hot. The aid stations were super. Sponges, ice, fluids, they were prepared.

Charlotte was waiting for me when I entered the park. The look on her face said it all. I must have looked really bad because I got "that smile." My daughter didn't know what to say-she just stared.

After I left the park, I'm not real sure of anything. I remember running through an aid station with Boy Scouts and the leader saying quietly to the Scouts-"He's in the Zone-let him be." Zone? Hell, I just wanted to be done. Mile 13 is the longest damn mile....,

Final time: 6:27 ish almost a full hour off what I was expecting.

Thanks to God, for not letting me drown and keeping me safe. Take care of the athlete who is now with you. I hope he gets a PR in heaven.

Thank you, Dave Roberts, for riding all those miles and for your advice. Joe Reger-you're a stud. Loranne Ausley (16th in her AG)-thanks for the high five and the beer afterwards. You're a true friend.

Most of all, thanks to Charlotte and Ingrid for being an amazing race crew.

I'm out.

1 comment:

Joe Reger said...

Hey, great swim time considering the shoulder and the conditions. Almost everybody I talked to ended up with a slower-than-expected time. Great race report! Thanks for sharing!