Monday, May 19, 2008

My favorite time of year

It's graduation week. And, it's my favorite time of the academic year. For those of us who are in education-this is the week we get to see the switch thrown from the petty world of high school to the non-caring world of the adult. This is the week we get to see our work and sleepless nights come to fruition with the swish of a cap and gown. This is the week we as teachers get paid.

I have so many students that I would like to say congrats to. Some are headed off to big time universities where they will quickly discover that I was pretty easy but entirely honest about freshman comp. Some are joining the military and I wish them Godspeed. A few have no idea what they're doing and I say to them, "that's cool-life will get you centered very quickly."

I mostly want to say that my classroom will soon go silent and again become just a room. Without you, the students, a school is just so much brick, mortar, and silence. It's summer and God knows I'm looking forward to the break. But, I'll miss you and the work. I can't name you here but thanks for making my year go better.

Now, go graduate.

No comments: