Thursday, October 9, 2008

Keeping it real

Okay, so I've ignored the blog for a while. Remember-I'm a teacher and an English teacher at that. If you think of your old English teacher from high school, you'll remember they mostly had gray hair, tufts of ear hair, bushy eyebrows, and bad hips. They always looked haggard and often went to the bottom right drawer of their desk to find relief (okay, maybe not) but you get the idea. That's almost me. Jeez-it's tough. And I'm about to start my doctorate.

Super.

I'm friggin buried. Essays. Writing prompts. Vocab quizzes. Formal papers. I'm trying to get them ready for those of you still swinging for the fences in corporate America.

Training is going but man, it's tough to keep the streak alive. Really tough. So when training gets off a bit, what cures it? Ride the trainer. Run. Bitch. Swim. Bitch. Repeat. Smile a lot.

I think we all find our center. Family, work, training, faith. It all has its place. William Cullen Bryant wrote a poem titled "Thanotopsis." I find much comfort in his romantic view of the cycle of life and our place on this earth. Sometimes it's good to get grounded.

So, on we go. I'm doing the Burwell Bike Tour this weekend in Carrollton. Drop me a line if you are headed that way.

No comments: